Book Two of The Friendship Trilogy “Spirit Whispers”
Book One of the Friendship Trilogy: “The Horseshoe Necklace”
Exclusive Interview: Mollie Moon
Having just relocated to the West Coast, I recently connected with the absolutely delightful San Diego YA author, Mollie Moon.
She just released her latest novel, The Horseshoe Necklace and she was kind enough to speak with me for a few minutes about her writing career, her other titles and her writing process.
Lauren Alexis Wood
“The Horseshoe Necklace” Book Club Questions
- At what age did Baatar leave his home to explore the world?
- Why did he leave his home? Could you leave your homeland as he did? What would be your favorite place to live?
- How does Baatar feel about having left Mongolia?
- What journey did Baatoar take to get from Mongolia to California?
- What jobs did he work?
- Who was Baatar’s best friend?
- How does Baatar meet Emmy?
- What is her family background? What do you know about the foster care system in the US?
- What is Emmy’s ethnic background and what does she cherish about it?
- What is the most important holiday for Emmy? How does she celebrate it? What are the most important props she needs for it?
- What is Emmy’s career goal?
- How did Baatar start working at a race track?
- How does Baatar help Emmy with her career goal?
- How does Emmy help Baatar in return?
- What are Baatar’s horses’ names and what do the names mean?
- How do Mongolians name their horses?
- Who is Baatar’s best male friend at the racetrack? How did they meet? What brought them closer together?
- Who is Emmy’s first boyfriend? What do you like/dislike about him?
- How does Emmy end up working at the stables?
- What is an outrider’s job and what are the risks?
- Who do you think is emotionally more stable, Baatar or Emmy?
- What is Baatar’s greatest regret? How does he cope with it?
- What is Emmy’s greatest regret? How does she cope with it?
- How do the characters develop?
- What do you think of the story’s ending? Is it satisfying? Surprising?
- What do you think is the book’s main message?
“Seaside Daisies” Media
“Five Wishes” Media
On May 20, 2017, Mollie Moon, author of the novel Five Wishes, sat down for an exclusive interview with Reina Menasche, host of the Bookshelf segment on East County Magazine’s Show on KNSJ Radio. Hear the full interview by clicking here and reading the highlights.
“Five Wishes” Book Club Questions
- What do you know about Honduras and the current living conditions in Comayagüela?
- What home does Maria Elena live in and what are her duties? How would you feel about having to fulfill her role?
- Have you ever been in a similar situation?
- How do Maria Elena and Lolita meet? How do they connect?
- Did you have a best friend growing up? Do you have a best friend now?
- How do Maria Elena’s and Lolita’s lives and personalities differ?
- Which of the two characters do you relate to more and why?
- What is Maria Elena’s first impression of Tío? How does Lolita see Tío?
- What is your opinion of him?
- How does Maria Elena meet Don Francisco and what is their heart-to-heart connection? What do you think of him?
- What disease plagues Don Francisco and why do you think that is?
- Who are the muchachos and what is their connection to Don Francisco?
- How do Maria Elena and Lolita prepare for their trip and what are the best and worst experiences during the trip?
- What is Maria Elena’s first job in the U.S.? Where is it located and why is that significant?
- What experiences do Maria Elena and Carlos have together? What does she like/dislike about him?
- How does falling in love change us and our perception?
- What do you think of Tío’s transformation?
- Who is the Judge and what are his roles?
- What does Maria Elena like/dislike about her second job in the U.S.? Why does she run away?
- What are Maria Elena’s five wishes?
- What do you think her future will hold?
“Branded By Fate” Media
“Branded By Fate” Book Club Questions
- What is the protagonist’s main goal in life and what causes his transformation?
- Do you believe our dreams can affect our attitudes, decisions or outcome of life? Have you ever had any such dreams?
- What do you think is the most important power of faith?
- Do you think having principles is important in life? Why? Why not?
- Why is prejudice still alive in our world today? What can we do to eradicate it? Do you think it is possible?
- Do you feel that the protagonist is a positive or negative person? Does he see the glass as half full or half empty? How does this trait affect his life? How does he compare to Uncle Ray?
- Do you believe there is such a thing as angels? What is your own experience?
- What is the difference between external and internal power? Name examples of characters in this book who portray either. What are the benefits and disadvantages of each?
- Our earth and climate are going through visible changes. Do you believe human behavior plays a role in this shift or is it just a natural cycle?
- What is the greatest difference between Christianity and Buddhism? What are similarities?
- Do you feel fortunate to be a human being? Why? Why not?
- What are the characteristics of a Knight of the First Order? Do you know any such modern knights? Would you consider yourself to be one?
- Do you ever use a mantra? If you had to make one up, which one would you use? Why might it be useful to have?
- How do you feel about death? Is it a scary topic or something that is natural and manageable to you? Have you had personal experiences witnessing someone die? How did it impact you?
- Do you believe in predestination? Do you believe people are meant to meet and share this life with each other or are all relationships coincidence?
- What is your analysis of the Circle of Development? Where on the circle do you find yourself? Which is the most challenging position for you – the journey to the outer edge or the journey back to the center? Why?
- How does the Golden Rule apply to all of life? What is its origin? Are we living by the Golden Rule today?
- What do you think of the guiding principles of the First Order? Are they reasonable? Too challenging? Stupid? Would you eliminate some? Add others? What do you like/dislike about them?
- What do you think of the Novemvirat? Are their demands unrealistic or inspiring? Would you invite them (or a group like them) into your life?
- What was the greatest insight you have gained by reading Branded by Fate?